You told us that we need to provide better communications and employer resources for part-time employees working for an OMERS employer, but not eligible to join the OMERS Primary Pension Plan (OMERS Plan). We listened.
Over the past months, George Cooke, Chair of the Board of Directors of OMERS Administration Corporation and Michael Latimer, OAC President & CEO have met with stakeholders, employers, members and retired members to find out what we do well and where we can become more focused.
You told us that we need to provide better communications and employer resources for part-time employees working for an OMERS employer, but not eligible to join the OMERS Primary Pension Plan (OMERS Plan) due to their employment status, including employees who work for more than one OMERS employer. We listened.
So far, we have:
- Revised the handout for new hires so it is clear that previous full-time and part-time employment with an OMERS employer could help these employees become eligible for membership in the OMERS Plan and to tell their employer about this employment.
- Created a poster version of the handout to be used by employers for ongoing awareness.
- Improved materials employers use for offering membership to eligible employees to better communicate the benefits of an OMERS pension
- We also improved employer resources:
- A new webinar focuses on offering membership.
- The Employer Administration Manual was updated to provide better instructions and clarity on responsibilities for offering membership.
- The Part-time Employees page (now called “Offering OMERS Membership”) was updated. Here employers can print copies of the poster and handout for new hires, and it includes a link to a list of OMERS employers if the employee needs to confirm their previous employer was an OMERS employer.
If you are aware of part time employees in your work place, please let them know about OMERS and the resources above.
This is an example of how, by speaking directly with our stakeholders and working together, we are able to improve OMERS.
How can we help?
Monday to Friday
8am to 5pm
900-100 Adelaide St W,
Toronto, ON M5H 0E2