is the number of years and months of paid service you have in the OMERS Plan. The maximum amount of credited service a member may have is capped at 35 years.
Note: Effective January 1, 2021, OMERS will no longer cap your credited service. If you have not reached 35 years of credited service prior to this date, you will continue to contribute and accrue credited service in the Plan. If a member meets the 35-year cap before January 1, 2021, the limit will continue to apply.
We use your years of credited service and your earnings to calculate your pension.
Credited service includes periods of time for which:
- you contributed to the OMERS Plan (and have not had a refund of contributions);
- you earned pension during a contribution holiday (an OMERS Plan surplus period when contributions are not required);
- you purchased leaves or previous service;
- you transferred funds from another pension plan; and
- you earned pension while on an OMERS-approved disability leave from your OMERS employer.
Credited service does not include service for which your contributions were refunded.