Employers and member associations who are interested in the Supplemental Plan should first review the plan information online at www.omers.com.
Interested groups and employers can also ask OMERS to host a Supplemental Plan meeting (a fee applies). Hosting this information session will ensure that interested parties have an opportunity to ask questions and are fully aware of the Supplemental Plan provisions, cost considerations, and the steps required to offer the benefits and to enrol members. OMERS can provide a cost estimate of Supplemental Plan future and past service costs on request – details are available online.
An employer proceeding to set up a Supplemental Plan benefit should:
- Review all information available online or through as Supplemental Plan meeting.
- Obtain a cost estimate (see information above) via e-access using the e-Form 301.
- Notify OMERS of their intent to adopt a bylaw or resolution and the timelines for implementation.
- Adopt a bylaw or resolution authorizing coverage.
- Enter into a Coverage Agreement with OMERS to set up coverage.
- Use the e-Form 300 – via e-access - to set up coverage for a class or classes of employees.
- Remit contributions as appropriate including any retroactive contributions (earliest effective date is July 1, 2008).
For full details, see www.omers.com: Employers/Supplemental Plan/How to Set Up Coverage.
Subsequent to Supplemental Plan enrolment, OMERS will provide individual members the option and cost to purchase past service, where relevant.